Patricia I. Diaz, D.D.S., M.S., Ph.D.
Degrees,Year Attained and University Attended
- M.S. and Certificate in Periodontology, 2008, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Ph.D., 2003, The University of Adelaide, Australia
- B.S., Dentistry (Hons), 1999, The University of Adelaide, Australia
- D.D.S., 1996, Universidad CES, Colombia
Brief Chronology of Professional Career
- 2008-present: Assistant Professor, Division of Periodontology School of Dental Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center
- 2010-present: Faculty Member, Graduate School, Ph.D. Program in Skeletal, Craniofacial and Oral Biology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center
- 2003-2005: Postdoctoral Fellow. Laboratory of Dr. Paul Kolenbrander. Oral Infection and Immunity Branch. NIDCR, NIH
Research, teaching, patient care
My laboratory studies the dynamics of oral microbial communities in health and disease. The human oral cavity harbors a highly diverse resident microflora. Shifts in the composition of these communities are associated with the development of common oral diseases such as periodontal diseases and oropharyngeal candidiasis. My work focuses on understanding the complex interactions occurring among community members that allow these shifts to occur. Integral part of this work is also the study of the interaction of these microbial communities with the host.
- Arce RM, Diaz PI, Barros SP, Galloway P, Bobetsis Y, Threadgill D and Offenbacher S. 2010. Characterization of the invasive and inflammatory traits of oral Campylobacter rectus in a murine model of fetoplacental growth restriction and in trophoblastic cultures. J Reprod Immunol. 84(2):145-53.
- Dongari-Bagtzoglou A, Kashleva H, Dwivedi P, Diaz P, Vasilakos J. 2009. Characterization of mucosal Candida albicans biofilms. PLoS One. 4(11): e7967.
- Kolenbrander PE, Palmer RJ Jr, Rickard AH, Jakubovics NS, Chalmers NI and Diaz PI. 2006. Bacterial interactions and successions during plaque development. Periodontology 2000. 42: 1-33.
- Palmer RJ Jr, Diaz PI and Kolenbrander PE. 2006. Rapid succession within the Veillonella population of a developing human oral biofilm in situ. J. Bacteriol. 188 (11): 4117-24.
- Diaz PI, Chalmers NI, Rickard AH, Kong C, Milburn CL, Palmer RJ Jr and Kolenbrander PE. 2006. Molecular characterization of subject-specific oral microflora during initial colonization of enamel. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 72 (4): 2837-48.
- Diaz PI, Slakeski N, Reynolds EC, Morona R, Rogers AH and Kolenbrander PE. 2006. Role of oxyR in the oral anaerobe Porphyromonas gingivalis. J. Bacteriol. 188 (7): 2454-62.
- Kolenbrander, PE, Egland PG, Diaz PI and Palmer RJ Jr. 2005. Genome-genome interactions: bacterial communities in initial dental plaque.Trends Microbiol. 13:11-15.
- Diaz PI, Zilm PS and Rogers AH. 2002. Fusobacterium nucleatum supports the growth of Porphyromonas gingivalis in oxygenated and carbon dioxide depleted environments. Microbiology. 148 (2): 467-72.